Olive oil has long been the chosen oil used to adorn salads and drench breads in its buttery smooth, slightly peppery flavor.
Now, with the rise of the keto diet and a new understanding of the benefits of consuming high fat, low carb diets, olive oil has found another way to grace our dining room table. But not all olive oil is created equally. High phenolic olive oil, like ours at kyoord, contains the most health benefits of any olive oil type. This is especially important for those on a keto diet.
Read on to find out three benefits of including this superfood ingredient in your daily diet.
Significant Reduction in Body Weight
At kyoord we’re here to celebrate healthy bodies and healthy minds - meaning we pay attention to science when it comes to living well. According to a study done on 31 subjects needing to lose weight for health reasons, keto diets high in olive oils were shown to have a significant effect on weight loss when compared to keto diets high in other types of fats.
In fact, participants recorded a more significant reduction in body weight versus a normal keto diet. They also recorded numerous other health benefits, including lower cholesterol and triglycerols, and a significant drop in blood pressure.
Links to Cancer Prevention
Even better than achieving a healthy body weight are the potential long term preventative benefits that high fat diets, such as the keto diet, have been found to have due to their healthful compounds.
One such benefit is a link to colorectal cancer prevention. A study found that the gut microbiome in mice, when fed a high fat diet versus a regular diet, produced a decrease in the bacteria, independent of the mouse’s weight. Additionally, these mice were fed a diet consisting mainly of olive oil. It was found to produce an anti-inflammatory gut environment, which is associated with the prevention of colorectal cancer.
Treating Intractable Epilepsy
Studies have shown that a keto diet also has various and important benefits on patients with intractable epilepsy. In fact, in a study done in 2017, 53% of patients who took on the keto diet and used healthy fats, such as that found in kyoord or The Governor, their seizures reduced by at least 50%.
- Keto diets have been shown to have a great, positive impact on human weight. In fact, keto diets rich in high phenolic olive oil can have an even greater impact on obesity.
- High phenolic olive oil consumption has been linked to a reduction in difficult to treat health issues, such as colorectal cancer and intractable epilepsy.
- Incorporating kyoord High Phenolic Olive Oil into your everyday diet will have a great, positive impact on your long term health.
- Check out our selection of high-phenolic olive oils here and take the first step toward a healthier lifestyle.
- Liu H;Yang Y;Wang Y;Tang H;Zhang F;Zhang Y;Zhao Y;. (2018, February 19). Ketogenic diet for treatment of intractable epilepsy in adults: A meta-analysis of observational studies.
- Pérez-Guisado, J., Muñoz-Serrano, A., & Alonso-Moraga, A. (2008, October 26). Spanish ketogenic mediterranean Diet: A healthy cardiovascular diet for weight loss.
- Rodríguez-García, C., Sánchez-Quesada, C., Algarra, I., & Gaforio, J. (2020, June 07). The high-fat diet based on extra-virgin olive oil causes dysbiosis linked to colorectal cancer prevention.
- Gaforio, J., Visioli, F., Alarcón-de-la-Lastra, C., Castañer, O., Delgado-Rodríguez, M., Fitó, M., . . . Tsatsakis, A. (2019, September 1). Virgin olive oil and Health: Summary of the III International conference on virgin olive oil and health consensus Report, JAEN (Spain) 2018.